Chai Spiced Candied Lemon Peels
The perfect combinations of sweet and sour, chewy and soft find themselves in these "modern" candied lemon peels. When so much of our usable produce ends up in the trash, it is always beneficial to reinvent old fashioned recipes that use often forgotten produce parts. What we love most about this recipe is it adds a global twist to candied lemon peels and makes a perfect accompaniment to pound cake, yoghurt, etc. We even use it in our curries! Continue reading for the recipe.
Chai Spiced Candied Lemon Peels:
- 2 organic lemons, washed
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1/2 cup of coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon of ground cardamom
- Remove the lemon peel from the lemon using a vegetable peeling. Wrap the remaining lemon and store for future use.
- In a small saucepan, combine the peels with 2 cups cold water. Bring to a boil and pour out water. Repeat process 2 more times. After the third time, drain water and remove lemon peels and set aside.
- In a saucepan, add 2 cups of sugar and 1 cup water. Mix solution until sugar is dissolved. Add lemon peels and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and allow peels to simmer in sugar water until they are translucent. Drain and allow peels to cool.
- Add the coconut sugar, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom to a medium bowl and mix. Add lemon peels and toss lightly to coat peels. Remove each peel and serve or store in an air-tight container.